- Where we’re based: Portaliffe, Killeshandra, Co. Cavan, Ireland
- A description of our school: Scoil Bhríde is a co-educational primary school where all classes from Junior Infants to 6th Class are taught
- Children in school doing The Daily Mile: The whole school participated in the Daily Mile
- Where we run: We used both playgrounds. 3rd to 6th classes walked, jogged and ran. Infants to 2nd classes took part in games and stations
- Month/year we started The Daily Mile: May 2017
Our Experience of The Daily Mile
It was very inclusive, suited all ages and abilities. It particularly suited those who are not interested generally in physical activities.
It was fun, social and non-competitive. Both children and staff looked forward to it every day. It was a great way to promote physical health and fitness.
Benefits We’ve Noticed
There were clear improvements in the children’s fitness levels and it helped to improve concentration in the classroom.
Our Children’s Feedback
“I thought The Daily Mile was fun, energizing and sporty.” – Bobby 5th class
“It made us all fitter. I would love to do it again.” – Aaron 4th class
“The Daily Mile was fun. It was good. I liked it. Follow the leader for me was the best.” – Noah 2nd class
“I think The Daily Mile was brilliant because I got fitter and it was fun to try and beat my highest amount of laps each time.” – Oran 5th class
Our Staff’s Feedback
“I, as a teacher, really enjoyed participating in The Daily Mile. I looked forward to it each day. It refreshed both the class and myself which improved concentration levels later in the day. The general fitness levels increased noticeably amongst the children also.” – 3rd/4th class teacher
“The Daily Mile was a great way to get the whole school moving at the same time. It was a great learning curve.” – 1st/2nd class teacher
“The Daily Mile is a good initiative to promote more exercise in school. It was easy to organise and the children really enjoyed it and looked forward to it each day.” – Junior class teacher